From Fall 2014-Fall 2015, I worked on camouflaging a glider from a depth sensor in Dr. Sanjeev J. Koppal’s FOCUS Lab.
I tested materials and determined which ones best confused the sensor by creating a model using MATLAB. It computational determines what materials optimize the stealth of the glider by examining over 300 depth map images. I also designed gliders and printed them using the Stratasys Object Connex2 which is capable of mixing materials.
I have been a member of the rocket team since my sophomore year. We compete in the NASA student launch competition, where the goal is launch a rocket a mile high and have a payload perform an experiment. Last year I was the testing lead, and as a team we achieved the best altitude at competition. I was in charge of verifying each subsystem would function properly by designing and implementing tests, such as ejection charge tests to ensure recovery system would work, vacuum chamber tests to simulate change in altitude to test electronics.
For the 2016-2017 year, I was the president of the rocket team, I oversaw and helped with all designs, wrote various sections of the design reports, ran general body meetings, and ensured the team’s success. The payload was a camera that would have ejected at apogee, distinguish three 40 ft by 40 ft tarps, and land vertically on one of them. The initial design is shown below.
For more information and design reports refer to the Rocket Team Website.
As part of the manufacturing lab, teams of four had to design a remote controlled robot that was capable of collecting racquetballs at different heights and positions within an arena and drop them off in a bucket.
As a team we decided on our design using a design matrix , wrote several reports, and manufactured the system ourselves using a mill, lathe, and a CNC machine. Our robot came first in the period and tied for 10th overall.
For the senior design course, teams of six had to design a 6U CubeSat with parameters given to us by NASA. I was in charge of designing the power system and incorporated MatLab and AGI’s STK to determine the power generated for the satellite and ensure there was suffient energy for the subsystems throughout the two year mission.
For summer 2016, I had the opportunity to be a spark ignition intern at Cummins. I developed a user interface data analyzer for Cummins’ natural gas engines, image of the tool is seen below. The tool I developed can analyze the field test data and make accurate predictions when the engine’s spark plugs should be replaced. This is beneficial for the customer and the environment in order to prevent engine misfires, which prevents unburned hydrocarbons from being released into the atmosphere, decreasing pollution. The tool is also capable of plotting various data relationships and it can run on MATLAB or it can be downloaded as a separate executable program.
The parent function for the analyzer tool can be found here.
Became familiar with design and implementation of using various sensors, statistical data analysis, experimental planning and computer based data acquisition. Made LabVIEW functions to collect data on tests performed in lab, an example of one is shown below.
Writing sample of a lab report.
Took a course on finite element analysis, where it stressed the fundamental engineering science principles applied to the finite element method and then be able to apply it using FEA software like Abaqus. Learnt the direct method of deriving stiffness matrices using uniaxial bar elements and one-dimensional heat conduction, transformation from local to global coordinates, application of energy principles in deriving finite element equations.
We had several projects, project two was to optimize a design of a torque arm given set loads. Here is the report.